Wednesday 3 August 2016

And a birthday came around, and with it, the Heart of Darkness...


And so it was my birthday yesterday, and many things did come my way, including a new bottle of Noodlers Heart of Darkness ink, and with it, as seems to be the way with these inks, a new Charlie eyedropper pen...

Cheerful I am...

The ink is one of the best one's I've ever had the joy to work with, fast drying, very black, and bulletproof, so having a spare bottle available means I can now stop rationing my original bottle (bought more than a year back and half empty even when used sparingly), but the interesting thing was the Charlie pen.

As noted earlier in the week, I've had problems with eyedroppers in the past...

No longer it seems


It's a basic pen, light plastic construction with screw top and screw nib (required for this type of pen), the ebonite nib was far more restricted than the previous eyedropper I had from Noodlers (a tinker), and once filled and primed, wrote a lot faster than the previous one.


Broader nib than I'm used to, and with the ink flowing fast, it means that I have to write a lot faster and broader than I normally do to make sure the ink doesn't pool on the page, but it does make for a perfectly good note taker (when I'm not trying to keep things perfect), and I suspect it will continue to be used for some time in just that capacity.


Getting to like using eyedroppers though, any particular recommendations out there that people find effective?  I'm looking for fine nibs (preferably japanese extra fine) and ideally something with a little weight to it.