Saturday 9 January 2016

Do Adventurers dream of Golden fleece...?

So yesterday was Roy Batty’s inception date…

And nearly four years from now, on a rain streaked rooftop, he dies…

And in that time accomplished so very much, twice as bright, half as long as the phrase goes, which got me to thinking about games and how long characters last, not so much in chronological time, but in real time.  Most campaigns I’ve been in don’t last more than a few years, I’ve been in a few where it lasted longer than that, but for most of them, it’s not even four years…

And how many of them go out blazing?  How many more of them just fade away?  Is there not something to this that our characters could learn?  Live like there is no tomorrow, get involved in things, take huge challenges and beat them down, don’t count the gold, the gold isn’t the point, the life is the point, that’s all that matters.

And how many of us learn from that?  How many of us just fade away, piece by piece till all that remains is the hope of what could have been?  How many of us live those lives of quiet desperation, hoping for nothing more in the end than an end to that desperation?  Is that what happens to Adventurers that never finish their adventures?

What more would we do if we only had four years to live? 

Would we do more, knowing that, or would we spend our time trying to find a way to increase the time without watching it going by, achieving only at the end that we’d wasted the time we had trying to increase the time that we have…

Most of us will never know, most of us will never get that determination, the sure and certain knowledge that this is how long we’ve got, no longer…!

I watched Blade runner when I was too young to really understand it, all but that last bit, and the only reason I got it was the voiceover that most people hated.  I could appreciate that something important had happened when Batty spared Deckard, but I needed it explaining, and that explanation played a major part in how I play most characters.

I don’t want my characters to get the castle and retire to rule over a fiefdom, I can think of nothing more tiresome, more inappropriate for an Adventurer to do than cease adventuring.  The only ones that do that are the Murderhobo’s, and they’ve got the whole wrong idea in the first place.  If you make it that way and then go to your castle and retire, be aware, because twenty years later, younger Murderhobo’s come along and raid your castle with you in it and the cycle continues…

I’ve had short lived characters and long lived characters.  Some died well, some got cut short before they really started out (23 minutes including generation), some just faded out when the game ended.  Those are the ones that I remember most unfavourably, the one’s that didn’t finish their story and still live there out in the ether waiting for their closure, and for those, that was very dissatisfying. 

The problem for me is that very few of the games I’ve played in ended on a high note, or indeed ended, rather than faded away, and it’s that lack of ending that I’m looking at now when it comes to the adventures I’m writing.  


So here’s the question, what does everyone else out there consider to be a victory for their character when it comes time to turn the sheet over?