Wednesday 11 January 2017

Possible lack of service on the convention front...



And if updates are a little late, or blog posts lack images for a short while, you can merrily put the blame down to BT, who seem to think that twenty days is a suitable timescale for someone to be out of internet.  Perhaps they think that if they just tell us not to complain enough, we’ll actually listen to them…

It’s not likely really, is it…?

Either way though, I have other sources of internet, normally less reliable than the one I’m presently paying for and not receiving, but they’ll do for now.  However, if the game you’re putting in for Expo isn’t immediately approved, don’t worry about it too much, it probably means I can’t load the page because I’m on pre 1996 levels of service, downloads in bytes, rather than KB or MB…

Although I did like the response they had to the initial query, which was “Have you tried looking on our website…?”

Look on our website…

When you haven’t got internet…

I did wonder if they were trolling me, but then figured that it’s (like all things BT) a standard response written on a script that someone was typing as an automatic response, but then you’ve got to wonder who thinks to put a standard response on like that…

And maybe this is the problem, I’m used to delivering a good level of customer service, both at my day job, and at the other jobs I do, I know what it’s like to be waiting for something and not getting it, and the worst thing of it is that most customer services treat it like it’s an inconvenience to them…

So, There’s an understanding here, and BT will likely find out about it shortly, because as I said to the person on the phone yesterday, it’s not them I’m annoyed at, nor the fact that they have to give the automatic responses (and by the way, note to consider here, telling me that I must be happy with the line you’ve just fed me is a really dumb line to get people to read out…), but I am annoyed at the company that requires those responses to be read out.

I like to think that the conventions I run, run on the best customer services. If there’s a problem, we get it sorted, if there’s an issue at any point, before, during, or after the con, you can bring it to any member of staff and they’ll deal with it, or they’ll escalate It to someone that will.  I believe that in all aspects of life, people respond to good efforts with good nature.

And it’s not easy, it never has been…

But the second you tell a customer that you don’t care, and that this is what it’s going to be, not that you’re going to try and do something, but that you’ve already decided they can put up with your lack of service, then you’ve lost the customer, whether immediately or in the weeks to come, you’ve lost them, and if they don’t show normal british reserve (which I’m about to abandon), and decide to tell the world about the lack of service, then you’ll find that the one client might not be all you’ve lost…

But then maybe you’re not bothered…

Maybe you have to lose a lot more people before you start to pay attention...


We’ll see…