Sunday 21 December 2014

#27daysofgames Day 20 – Coolest looking game – OGRE designers edition


The problem with some games is that while they’re possibly the shiniest thing in the world, the simple truth of the matter is that you’d never end up playing them, and all the shiny in the world doesn’t account for a game that you’ll never play.  Of course, for those of us with Gamer DNA, there’s still that pull towards a game that you may already have, but you don’t have the really shiny version.

So it is with the Designers edition of OGRE...

I’ve had the option to buy this on a number of occasions, and it’s not that I don’t have the money to get it, it’s that I honestly don’t know if I’d play it enough to justify the purchase of the game in the first place, especially not when I’ve already got two copies of OGRE.  I considered going in on the kickstarter of the game when it came about and it was only that I was already in for a number of other games that I decided against it.



Of those games, one I am still waiting to receive...

But back to the shiny, does it make any difference that it’s shiny?

A friend loaned me a copy and my conclusions are at


TL:DR?

Yes, it really does, and in that lies the secret to every boardgame now being brought out, if you make it small and sparse, then it has to be good, if you make it big and shiny, it can be forgiven a multitude of sins because people will just buy it so they’ve got a copy...


Damnit...