Wednesday 27 August 2014

And Sometimes, you've just got to eat a Beef Donut...


So this evening, having found myself up to date with wordcount and almost everything else, I decided to take the family on a bit of an adventure.  Being an avid watcher of TV programs such as Diners, Drive ins, and Dives, I've been fascinated by the american way of cooking things for some time, and this in turn has led to a promise to myself to investigate barbecue as a foodstuff when next I'm over there.

Turns out I don't need the flight to get american food over here...

Following a recommendation from my oppo on nights, we went to check out Reds, an american style barbecue joint in the centre of leeds, mile walk to get there not withstanding.  As it happens, the walk was needed, because when we got there, there was nothing in there that could have been described as anything other than "oh dear god...".

So, Mark had a bacon cheesburger with fries, Sylvia and Jude had pulled pork with (cole)slaw and fries, and I...well, a Donut Burger was on the menu, and this had to be done, and this may require a little explanation...

For some time, all members of the family have been teasing Tiny Wife that the cats would like a Beef Donut, now at the time, we all considered that such things did not exist, but that hasn't stopped us from relentlessly commenting every time the cats stop near Tiny Wife to the effect of...

"I am a nice cat, I deserve Beef Donuts..."
"I will trade strokes and purrs for Beef Donuts..."
"I want no biscuits, only Beef Donuts..."

And so on, till it became a running joke with all of us commenting on Beef Donuts and Tiny Wife getting ready to nut the lot of us...  Then came the moment last week when I found that these exist, and from then, it was only a matter of time before we got up there to prove the existence of these mythical foods...

And with Mythical foods must come Legendary Service, they don't do reservations at Reds for parties less than 8, and on Friday to Sunday, they don't do reservations at all.  We got in, got a table in five minutes, ordered drinks and food and somehow, the food arrived before the drinks, and to put that in perspective...

The drinks arrived within two minutes...

Delicious is the word, no other way to describe it, perfectly tender meat cooked slow (12-14 hours in the smoker), fresh slaw, all the sauces you could want, crisp fries, and of course...

Donuts...

In truth, the Beef Donut was a little much, even I had trouble finishing it, and those who know me know that I'm into my good foods in a big way, but I had to write about this, because from start to finish (literally, walk in to walk out), we were less than thirty minutes. Massive portions, excellent atmosphere (all country and rock music), reasonable prices, and service that was indeed Legendary...

I'm taking all my friends here, even the Vegetarians, if ever there was a place to convert someone to Carnivore status...

It is here...