Tuesday 12 August 2014

Adventures in Pogonotomy - Cutthroat Razors...

 

I’ve made mistakes before I started doing this on a regular basis, one of those mistakes was going for a cheap cutthroat razor that wasn’t in the changeable blade category.  Sliced me to ribbons on a number of occasions and caused me no end of trauma as a result.

Lesson learned...

This time I went for a cheap cutthroat but with a changeable blade option, in this case, the Sanguine razor.  Fitted it with a Wilkinson Blade (wasn’t feeling brave enough for Feather) and started to have a go with it.  Curious feeling to it, unlike shaving with a safety razor, the angle is completely dictated by your hand, which means that shaving when you’re either tired or have just worked out and your muscles are still jumpy is a bad idea.


First time, I’d just worked out...

Lesson Learned...

But after that, I’d got the idea.  The shave wasn’t as close as I was used to with the safety razor, but that was more a function of my own nervousness at the lack of any defensive measure against being shredded.  The lack of weight on the blade means that you have to actively press to get the blade to work, and just a little too much pressure causes a slice to even the toughest skin. 

Several slices later, I decided that actually the best way forwards was to use the safety razor and then clean up the awkward bits with the cutthroat afterwards.  I’m not going to give up on using a cutthroat any time soon, but I’m not going to rush the learning curve either, that way lies a whole bunch of problem.


Regarding the razor itself though, it’s nicely presented, very light (too light for my tastes), but solidly constructed and easy to load and unload the blades from the razor (with one minor mishap while still learning that cost me one of my fingerprints)... 

Certainly worth the price paid for it and it’ll be getting more use in the ongoing adventures.