Friday 3 October 2014

If you're planning on writing a million words in a year, there's some things you should be aware of...

And that's why there haven't been many updates forthcoming for the entire of it...

The problem for the most part is that there's so many other things going on that I'm having trouble keeping up with them and this at the same time.  I made a point at the beginning of the year that there would be times when I fell behind because I was so busy doing things that people relied on me for and I couldn't let them down.

I stand by that now.

Wyntercon Prep is all but done, so there shouldn't be much to engage me there, but Dragonmeet prep is only just starting up and I have Essen in a week and a half which will cost me roughly 15000 words when it comes down to it, working on the average of 3000 words a day and I'll be gone for five whole days.  There's a few free days afterwards to try and catch up on things, but it's going to be a hell of a sting.

Then there's Wyntercon, another 9000 words down for the three days there, Dragonmeet another 9000 words, so I need to be some 33000 words ahead at some point just so I can maintain the status quo on the wordcount.  Cheerfully I'm 20k ahead at this point, and that's mostly down to being invalided for two weeks in the middle of September, something I'm not anxious to repeat any time soon...

So, observations on starting the last quarter of the challenge, it's possible to do these things, but you really shouldn't have too much else on in your life if you want to have any sort of work/life balance.  I'll do a full breakdown towards the end of the year, (as in I'll breakdown what I've done, rather than have a breakdown, although....) but at this point, things aren't doing so bad.

This is John Dodd, back in the seat, and Goodnight England, Wherever you are...